Monday 30 April 2012

Project 3 Tone and Composition - Logbook Notes

I think the studies which worked best were the lounge in burnt sienna and the final painting the shed interior in sepia. Perhaps this is because they were both painted in warm colours which seemed to convey the sinshine fairly well. The imagined room in sunlight was perhaps too cool whne it was finished.

I did not feel too constrained by the use of monochrome - I think the previous exercises of still life in monochrome were really key in me forming this opinion. I have found the layering of one colour in multiple tones really enjoyable and a truly new learning experience.

I think the ability of watercolour to convey mood and atmosphere has been really well demonstrated by my previous comment regarding which paintings I feel worked well i.e. the colours demonstrating either warmth or light or coolness. I think the observed studies did help me to compose imaginary rooms, however I did need to take my time and it did not come easily.

Since completing thiss section of the course I have found I am really tired after completing a painting! I guess this is due to the extent to which I have been staring at my subjects!

No comments:

Post a Comment