Monday 1 July 2013

Japanese prints - research


I have dug out a book about Japanese prints following recommendations in my assignment report to compare this style of work with my own.

The images and colours in this book are wonderful, this book belongs to my husband, so I can honestly say I have never opened it! I think its unfortunate that the cover does not really reflect the beautiful prints within.



Looking at these prints I suppose my work is reminiscent of these prints, the use of colour and washes is warm, subtle and at the same time confident. I like the way the black outlines tie in with my own inclination to use black ink after I have completed a painting.

I have decided to upload some of my favorite from the book, and will note my reasons for choosing them.



The stone bridge at Edobashi


I chose this image as I think it ties in quite well with the painting of structures in an urban landscape in the unit I am working on at present.I think the lack of shading and shadows on the bridge yet the presence of differences in tone is really interesting and serves to highlight the bridge and give it an almost cartoon quality. I think the way perspective is represented in this image is excellent, the lines of the bridge, the buildings in the distance and the detail and scale in the foreground all contribute to the feeling of depth.

Shimbashi station


Shimbashi statio is an interesting study, again one which I chose for the buildings. Its interesting that the detail at the front of the scene is lacking on the blossom trees, however there seems to be more detail the further into the distance you look particularly in relation to the ships, they are not just represented, but a substantial amount of detail is included. The steam coming form the steam train is very flat, yet there is significant detail on the train itself.

Maple leaves at the Tekona shrine, Mamma


I chose this image as it just jumped out at me for the qualities of the composition, specifically relating to the maple leaves in the foreground which serves to give a feeling of depth. The grauating wash from the horizon up to the top of the print is also reflective of the methods of painting sky referred to in the course material - I love moments like this when you see things you did not previously realise you couldn't see!









No comments:

Post a Comment