Monday 15 July 2013

Exercise: Painting still and disturbed water

This was another one of those painting outdoors exercises where I seemed to gather momentum as I went along! I wonder if I should just accept that on the whole my first painting will be my "test" or rough, and that the paintings that follow will perhaps be more considered. It's almost as though I need to find my bearings with a location then relax into the painting. 

Painting one 


This first painting does not really reflect accurately enough the scene, the water in the foreground seems to simply look like a brown field with a path rather than the brown water of the pond. It was also quite difficult to achieve the dappled light through the dark green trees. I am fairly happy however with the layout and perspective and definitely think this painting has scope for progress. 

Painting two 


I decided to try to make use of the masking fluid for highlighted areas and also used a combination of wet on wet and more defined dry lines to try to differentiate between the different areas and textures in the scene. Working wet into wet does seem to lend itself well to painting outdoors however I did find it fairly difficult to control the colours and shapes. I think I am happiest with the divide between the water and the bank in the dad side of the pond, the shadow there had created a feeling of distance.

Once the painting was dry I removed the masking fluid and painted over with a brighter green to highlight the irises to the right foreground. 

Painting two


I am fairly happy with the suggestion of water in this painting as I have been able to show the reflection of the sky and clouds in the water, while maintaining a much lighter touch in terms of paint layering, and I think this lighter touch has kept the paper clean and light therefore better representing water. 

Painting three


Following up on my feedback I decided to use a large wash brush to diversify my painting methods and move outside my comfort zone. Although I was not as easy to create definition of harder edges I do like the softer appearance and the suggestion of the scene. I have then tried to give it a more complete appearance by using brighter green and a smaller brush on the irises in the foreground. I am hopeful that painting wet into wet had allowed the water to look realistic given the smudged yet light approach. 

And finally

Painting four


Using vibrant ink tablets I have taken a much more relaxed approach and allowed the colours to blend and merge, I like the energy the seeping of colours is creating both with regards to the irises and the water. 





No comments:

Post a Comment