Monday 1 July 2013

Exercise - Tonally graded wash and simple clouds

I followed the directions of the course material, and realised once again the learning of new techniques requires practice! The first couple of attempts were not very successful as sky but by the third I seemed to have found a method that suits me.


Creating clouds using an ultramarine wash then a wet paintbrush, unfortunately this doesn't look like sky, it looks like it's been painted with a paintbrush! 


The second experiment using ultramarine and a sponge was a bit more effective, this method seems to be useful for creating shadows under the clouds. 


I think as I compare these first three paintings side by side this one is the most successful, for this painting I used an ultramarine wash then kitchen towel to lift off the paint, this felt as though I had greater control and was not just pushing the paint around the paper but lifting it off to leave white underneath. I am looking forward to the next stage in this exercise and working some shadows and depth into the clouds.


I worked using a darker more saturated wash of ultramarine for the above painting. I then lifted off the clouds using tissue, leaving me with white clouds, finally I worked into the clouds using a very pale wash of payne's grey, to give the impression of shadows. 


I practiced the same method again, and blended the shadows with water, payne's grey and drying the area again with tissue. 


And finally a Tonally graded wash, simple clouds and shading using payne's grey and yellow ochre. I think the use of the ochre gives the suggestion of sunset, so perhaps suggests evening light, which I think is worth bearing in mind. 





No comments:

Post a Comment