Monday 22 July 2013

Project 5 pictorial interest, Exercise: Painting trees



Preparatory sketches of trees, Lyme Hall, Cheshire using soluble graphite, dry


Watercolour sketches - Lyme Park, Cheshire 



Tree sketches using aqua markers both dry and wet, all three are the same tree at Lyme park viewed from different angles.




Painting a twisted tree using aquamarkers, these markers are convenient but don't give the subtlety or depth of colour of the watercolour palette, even the travel one. 


For the tree below I painted the foliage first then drew the detail of the trunk and branches afterwards with a Pitt artist pen, I think this gave memory focus in the image and tone of the foliage:-


Well I really am enjoying the painting trees exercise but am conscious I cannot paint them forever! I have finally worked on the exercise asking for two contrasting tree paintings, and I am reasonably happy with the outcomes, and hopefully I have understood the request for contrasting tree paintings. 


So for the first painting I decided to follow again the layers of tone and pen approach, as I really liked the way this combination if media came together. 









No comments:

Post a Comment