Wednesday 9 May 2012

Dark Matters - Study of a Baby - Wiliam Newzam Prior Nicholson

I think the mixed media approach of this "painting" is really interesting - and I think I can learn a lot from this. Given the date of the painting I think it has been painted in the style of a black and white photograph with colour tinting, it may not have been but that's how it appears to me! I like that it is probably not really a likeness of any individual due to so much of the face being in shadow. I think the minimal amounts of colour have been used to really good effect - such as the colour of the hair and the blue of the sash. The dark background and bold shadow gives the impression of the child coming from a dark room outside into the sunshine. It seems that watercolour has been applied in layers on this painting then embellished - subtly - with ink and charcoal. The faint lines around the child give the impression of energy and movement which I think adds to the atmosphere of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment