Friday 28 June 2013

Exercise - Aerial perspective in an urban landscape - drawings


Moving on to Aerial perspective it was immediately obvious this was quite a different exercise to the previous one. I tend to think I am not very good at painting or drawing detail on a landscape (I am happier it seems with close up still life) but overall i was really quite happy with the outcome of the urban landscape.

Watercolour Pencil and Soluble Graphite on A3
For the above painting I decided to following the learnings of the previous exercise and start with a detailed watercolour and pencil drawing on a fairly large scale to try to ensure all the depth, space and details were captured. I think I spent longer on this "sketch" than I would normally but I think the looking and looking again at the aerial landscape will stand me in good stead for translating this into a painting later on.

HB Pencil Sketch - A3
For the next sketch I decided to look further to my right to capture a slightly different scene, I think perhaps the garage roof dominates the sketch a bit too much but I think this sketch has been particularly helpful in understanding and observing the junctions between the garage, the shed roof, the fence, the greenhouse roof, the trellis and the small red shed further in the distance.

Red Calligraphy using a paintbrush on A3
I decided to try to focus on the mark making aspects of the scene with this sketch, I enjoyed the richness of the colour and the differences of tone available even with just one colour of this rich ink.

Annilinky Ink Tablets - In viridian and black on A3
Looking at this sketch now it is dry I wonder if I could have spent longer on it, the tones are indicative of a night scene but I am only seeing this on my return to it, the way the lack of "colour" has become apparent I think makes it really evocative of the way night time drains colour from a scene.

Annilinky Tablet Inks - A3
The purpose of this sketch was to explore the colours needed in the various areas without actually worrying too much about the perspective as such. I think taking note of the course material here as an important factor, specifically making the colours paler in the background to give the impression of distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment