Wednesday 1 May 2013

Part 3, Project 3, Exercise: Painting on the spot

Exercise: Painting on the spot Painting 1

It was a dull day when I returned to paint at Lowton Common again, in fact much like it was when I was photographing the scene originally. For this painting I decided to use ink for my outlines, taking a more linear approach, then paint over these lines. Looking back at this painting now I am not sure if the lines are too dark or have too much emphasis on them, particularly for the mowed lines in the field. I found that as I was painting outdoors I was inevitably painting more quickly and therefore painting wet into wet. It then began to drizzle, meaning it was difficult for me to get the painting to dry! 

Exercise; Painting on the spot Painting 2

I think I was in a bit of a hurry with the second painting, the rain was starting to get heavier as can be seen in the finished painting, however I did take the time to adjust my view. I think its tempting when painting outside to paint EVERYTHING you can see, this can be distracting and I don't think makes for a great composition. For the second painting I ended up focussing mainly on the two trees as I had done in the painting from a photograph and I think again this led to a more cohesive composition.

Logbook Notes :-

  • I do feel that I am now starting to make progress in selecting a subject matter from a particular landscape scene, I think prior to this breakthrough I had not been particularly enjoying landscape painting but now that I don't feel obligated to include everything I see then the process of composing a painted scene is becoming more enjoyable.
  • My experience at this particular location wasn't particularly fun! The drizzle had its own challenges and I think I was tempted to "finish" the paintings when I got home, though I am happy now that they stand alone as painting completed in drizzle, and I put it down to experience.
  • I do think my attempts to paint the scene were hampered by the weather, I would have liked more time to produce what I see as a "proper" painting, well thought out with considered brush strokes.
  • I think the experience of painting the same scene previously from a photograph helped as it gave me the impetus to narrow my view and adjust the composition, though I have no idea why I didn't turn my paper from landscape to portrait to accommodate this change of composition!


No comments:

Post a Comment