Wednesday 1 May 2013

Comparison of Painting from a photograph and Painting on the spot

If I am completely honest I preferred painting from a photograph. Painting on the spot, specifically for this exercise felt like a chore to be got through. In the sunshine of the York Minster garden it was enjoyable and relaxing, in the local drizzle it felt much less so!

I do however think it was a worthwhile thing to do, it allowed me to highlight what specifically I need to be considering when painting a landscape, namely I don't have to paint everything I see and I can narrow my view and exclude certain elements if I do not feel they contribute positively to my composition. I think it is hard to say which exercise was more "valuable" to me, I feel that both exercises combined gave me the learning points that I referred to above.

No comments:

Post a Comment