Tuesday 3 September 2013

Human figure in the landscape - painting and critique

Preparatory sketch for painting a human figure in the landscape

Colour sketch 

Sketching out the lines for the painting on A3

Pencil sketch

Initial washes blocking out the main areas 

Initial Washes

Completed painting

Completed painting

I quite enjoyed the process of painting a figure in the landscape, though it does feel as though different techniques are needed for the landscape and figure. I am not sure if this painting is finished, my perpetual problem I guess! I think perhaps more detail could have been included but if I am honest I had issues with composition. The figure is not positioned correctly on the path, meaning a dead space was created between the figure and the bridge which shouldn't have been there. I am reasonably happy with my painted figure, but less happy with the landscape it sits in, perhaps I was distracted by the need to include a figure. I so wonder if the figure gives the scene context, as she is walking downhill off a step in the path, so hopefully thus gives the impression of the land falling away 

And finally a tonal version when I relaxed with my watercolours later on, including the figure did not seem appropriate with this painting. 





No comments:

Post a Comment