Friday 26 April 2013

Part 3, Project 2, Exercise: Building a picture


I really enjoyed these preparatory elements to building a completed painting. I think the time spent sketching and experimenting with the different elements allowed me space to consider carefully the different parts which go into making the whole landscape.

Initial sketch, pencil on paper


Sketching and colour experimentation with specific elements, bridge, reflection, bamboo

Sketching and experimentation with specific elements, reflection and pagoda (deciding on picture elements)

Composition and colour decisions

Although I will go on and post the completed painting separately its interesting to see that the course material suggests that as my preparation gets better and quicker I may eventually "dispense with this process altogether" which surprises me. I enjoyed the preparatory processes more than I enjoyed composing and completing the final painting. I think I felt happy to return to a preparatory mindset, as I am not altogether sure at the moment that I "enjoy" painting outside. Although I like the spontaniety of quick sketching and painting and the energy this creates I also enjoy the opportunity to look and consider and think, which I don't feel able to do outside.

The process of looking and looking again in this exercise certainly allowed me to consider my subject matter more carefully specifically it looked at the shape of the bridge and realised the reflection was deeper than the actual bridge, the shadows reflected in the water were actually brown/green not black, the clouds in the sky were reflected in the water, it was not just uniform blue.


No comments:

Post a Comment