Monday 18 November 2013

Project 4 Themes and series - Painting 5 Orchid collage

Brusho, with cut and town orchid shapes glued into place, with some wax resist images added to the image


First washes laid around and over collaged images

Orchid Collage - A1 Watercolour Board Finished Painting

Orchid Collage - detail

Orchid Collage - detail

Orchid Collage - detail

This final painting was a really enjoyable exploration of scale. I had drawn from the painting I completed for the themed collage and painting http://miriamward.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/exercise-themed-collage-and-painting.html I loved the way the orchid images look in the abstract painting but I had also really enjoyed the gorgeous mid tone of the indigo watercolour I had used. I decided however that for this painting and collage I would include some of the green and yellow due to the green and yellow orchid I have. I felt that that the use of a yellow wash across the whole board would give n interesting basis and provide contrast when I use a resist to echo some of the images. I also decided I would like to try to work on a larger scale for this final painting and so had a rummage through my watercolour resources and came across this watercolour board which I had originally picked up for mounting my textiles work for assessment. I guess if I am not going to work on this scale now then its never going to happen.  I photocopied images of my own paintings and tore and cut them and arranged them on the watercolour board which I had washed with lemon yellow brusho. After arranging and gluing the images to the board I then worked on some areas using a white wax crayon, and then started my layering of tonal washes. Once I was happy that the tonal washes were sufficient I then further worked into the painting using some black, white and indigo oil pastel as I was able to use this to blend and soften some of the edges.

I think the main issue with this painting has been knowing when to stop! Its tempting to keep on darkening the tonal edges around the collaged pieces but I think I have managed to gain a fairly balanced finished piece - particularly the relationship between the yellow resist areas and the darkest indigo areas. I think I am surprised overall with this piece as I had not really taken to the collage exercise as such, however I do think collage is something I will explore again in textile sketch and log books.



No comments:

Post a Comment